The Laka Glacier trek is one of the easiest Himalayan treks. Situated in the Kangra Valley is the Laka Glacier encircled by the Dhauladhar ranges. It is a very famous trek to go for during weekends as it is for two days. The trek is very short but it is very steep. This trek is near to Mcgleodganj and there are chances it will be crowded since a lot of tourists visit Mcleodganj. You will be able to hear a lot of different birds singing on the trek. If you are a bird lover this might be fun for you to spot them.
Best time to visit?
The best time to go for this trek would be from the month of March till June. During this time there are chances you get to see snow which might be left from the winter and pre-monsoon season. It is not advisable to go during peak monsoon and winter season other than that anytime is ideal. In the month of December you can expect snowfall to start.
How to reach the trek?
The base point for the trek is Dharamkot which is at a distance of 2 km from Mcleodganj. You can walk there or take a cab or auto from Mcleodganj. To reach Mcleodganj you can take a bus from Delhi or Chandigarh depending on your location. There are three airports that you can fly to, the first is New Delhi international airport at a distance of 18- km. The second airport that you can get down at is Patankot airport which is almost 100 km. The Kangra airport is the closest as it is only 20 km away.
Difficulty on the trek?
Ideally this is an easy trek but when you are trekking around rocks or boulders it might be slippery. Also it is a steep trek so just be careful when trekking. Wear appropriate trekking shoes to avoid any mishaps.
This trek is to Laka glacier but you go via Triund.
The base is Dharamkot from where you start your trek for Triund which is around 6 km. The trek is a steep one when you reach the Laka ridge. The route has a lot of dense forests of oak. There are a lot of places near the Triund ridge where you might want to camp as a lot of cafes are nearby. At night camp at Triund by either setting your tents or the rest house at Triund. The next day, get up and finish your breakfast and start trekking to go to Laka Glacier. As you trek higher the path might be full of snow. Reach Laka glacier, have a look at the view and click pictures of yourself and the view. You would have to return to Triund before the day ends and camp there again for the last time. And the next day leave for Mcleodganj.
Things to carry –
When you go on a trek there are few things that you have to carry without a doubt. Here is a list of all the things that you might need.
- A good backpack to carry enough wait for two days
- Carry clothes that would dry easily in case they get wet
- A cap or sunglasses
- Water bottle is a must as there are very few water sources on the trek.
- A torch for the night
- Trekking shoes as there are steep paths to trek on
- Mosquito repellents might be used at night while staying in the tents
- A trekking pole would be needed
- Woolen cap and gloves
- Dry snacks
- Medical kit – this is the most important thing that you have to carry on the trek
Places to visit after the trek –
A few places that you might want to visit after your trek in the vicinity are –
- Dharamshala – It is known for the Tibetan culture and the monasteries. There are a lot of other places in Dharamshala that you can visit, like the Dalai Lama temple which is very famous.
- Bagsu waterfall – There is a temple and a waterfall that you can visit. The waterfall is only a km away from the temple.
- Bir billing and Palampur – These are two hills that you should visit when you are nearby. Bir hill is known for paragliding.
As mentioned the best time to visit the Laka glacier and the places around would be from March till the month of June. If you are visiting Mcleodganj and not sure of what you can do then go for this trek.